Monday, October 22, 2012

Tennyson: Launcelot and Elaine

I have come to an important conclusion: Launcelot is a total shithead,for lack of a better term. He says these sweet things to Elaine, takes her token, lets him nurse her back to health all the while playing a mean little game of mixed messages, gets better and leaves her high and dry. Then when she washes up on shore pretends he was innocent of her death. No, Launcelot you totally, absolutely and unequivocal caused it. Here is the proof you,dirty-rotten-no-good-down -low scoundrel.
Guinevere reveals Launcelot's character in her description of her dream man, the sinner. "He is all fault who hath no faults at all: for he who loves me must have a touch of the earth; The low sun makes the colour."(171) That's why she loves him, he's a little bit dirty, more human than that saint she married. And that is completely understandable. To some extent we all dig the bad boy. But there's a difference between mischief and misleading a young girl to the point she dies of heart break. And Launcelot is a wizened older gent two times her age! He should know what he's doing when he comes on to Elaine on 174 "this maid might wear as fair a jewel as is on earth, not violating the bond of like to like." He keeps going and spins her into such a mad adoration before his departure that she climbs up to her tower, "took the shield, there kept it,and so lived in fantasy."(178) And meanwhile back home Guinevere hears of his flirtations and gets her jealous little heart bruised. Then he goes and does dumb man shit like jousting and gets wrecked. So Elaine goes searching for him,drags his sorry rear back and nurses him to health. And how does he show his gratitude? At times he "would call her friend and sister, Sweet Elaine...and loved her" (190) and sometimes he answered her "short and coldly" cause he was thinking of his slam piece back home. What a jerk. I just want to be like "ELAINE GIRLFRIEND YOU CAN DO BETTER.HE'S NOT EVEN THE GREATEST KNIGHT OF THE KINGDOM. HAVE YOU MET SIR GALAHAD?WORDSWORTH AND I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE YOU." So anyway he continues to torture her like this, then tells her they can't be together and rides away without so much as a goodbye. It's very Pale Rider. We have a lengthy bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth, and then gently Elaine leaves this world. She's floated down the river while Guinevere and Launcelot are in the midst of a lovers spat. Eventually someone fishes her out and brings her in. Launcelot's reaction at first is just to muse. MUSE! he muses over her! God help the man who leaves me heartbroken and dead in astolat and then has the nerve to no more than MUSE over my corpse! May thirty thousand hell hounds pursue him in the darkest circle of hell! Guinevere feels more pity for the maid than he. And then he has the nerve to deny his role in her end. "I swear by truth and knighthood that I gave no cause, not willingly, for such a love" (202). You know what Launcelot, I'm sick of you bullshit. I'm quite glad this chapter ends with your conscious being tortured by your guilt. You totally deserve it. I apologize for the vehemence of this post.

2 comments:

  1. First of all Shannon, your enthusiasm gets a gold star; I nearly died laughing when you started text-shouting at Lancelot (on a side note, have you ever seen the literary youtube channel Sassy Gay Friend? if not, you should look it up.)
    But back to the topic at hand. You say we should introduce Elaine to Galahad (who apparently doesn't exist in this universe, as Arthur at the end of the section mentioned that Lancelot hasn't fathered any children) but what about Sir Gawain? He'd be a pretty fine catch, especially for a maiden seemingly without connections or much wealth to speak of if Lancelot is promising her riches. Gawain is the newphew of the King himself and best of all, is actually in love with Elaine! I mean come on, when else do we see GAWAIN giving any other girl "songs / Sighs, and slow smiles, and golden eloquence / And amorous adulation" (185)? I feel bad for the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this whole thing lends to the idea of Lancelot as a lethal character. This is interesting because it is usually the women who are salvific or lethal. Elaine is obviously salvific. In response to Hilary's proposition of Elaine and Gawain getting together, I think that is the greatest idea ever (I ship it!) if only Elaine could've gotten her head out of Lancelot land. It's unfortunate that she can't see how awful Lancelot really is, even with the way he treated her.

    ReplyDelete