One big difference in writing styles that I've noticed is de Troyes' propensity to personify virtues and vices to the point where they can actually choose who to inhabit. ("Cowardice owns him completely" p. 278) This seems to be his way of identifying to the reader the character's (for lack of a better term) character. I suppose we could compare this to the interpretations of dream sequences certain characters in Malory dream up, which also reveal to us their character.
de Troyes also gives the women considerably more power in the marrige department here. During the tournement in Wurst, all the unmarried maidens are allowed to choose their marriage partners, and when none can have Lancelot, no one gets married. I can't see this ever happening in Malory.
Speaking of marriage, King Arthur seems to care far more about his marriage than his brotherhood compared to any story by Malory. When Queen Gwenny returns from the land none ever return from (sorry had to point that out at least once, I got such a kick out of that), he calls her that which "he most desired" (p. 273), which is something Malory would EVER write, in his love of bros before hoes. I wonder if he had a particularly bad experience with women...some biographical information might be interesting...
No comments:
Post a Comment