Thursday, November 15, 2012

Merlin!

What a wonderfully theatrical depiction of the stories we've been reading! (pretty hysterical too)  A few things I noticed:


  • The forest is just as described in chivalric landscape. There are fantastical creatures in the trees (griffins). 
  • We see a bed trick, with Morgan le Fay and Arthur, resulting in Mordred, the nastiest little child ever.
  • When Lancelot is in the first tournament, his face his covered. This hiding of his identity is something we've seen a lot in our readings.
  • I also found it interesting, Lancelot rode a black horse, but Mab rode a white horse. This seems backwards, but of course I do remember the random reversals of the meanings of black and white in Malory.
  • Jenny (as I have come to affectionately call her) is wearing red the whole time, a blatant symbol of her adulterous sin.
  • Probably one of my favorite lines in this movie was from Father Abbot, who said "God doesn't want you if you love another." This brought me right back to Lancelot, especially as we see him in White's The Ill Made Knight. He loves Jenny, and so cannot see the grail. He gives up his love for Jenny in exchange for his love of God. He always has to choose between his love of Arthur, his love of Jenny, and his love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment